In the mood for love

There are so many legends and traditions about Valentine's Day that it is hard to know its true origin today.  In the modern age, the occasion has just about become a commercialized event that few would even remember how Valentine's Day came about.   

As people around the world honor and remember their loved ones on this coming day, I thought I would share my favorite poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:  

How Do I Love Thee?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death. 

Comments

Popular Posts