1. Don't hop into the pool with your jewelry on. Take them off before swimming and strenuous activities. Saltwater and chlorine can be damaging, especially for sterling silver jewelry. Sweat can also make sterling silver jewelry tarnish quickly.
2. Take off your jewelry before applying lotions - sunblock, insect repellant, hairspray etc, makeup and perfumes. Chemicals may get trapped in the tiny nooks and crevices of chains and gemstone prones, making it hard to remove later. These substances may also react with the metal causing tarnish.
3. Repair loose findings, gemstone prongs and clasps. It is easy to lose a piece of jewelry or individual gemstones and beads simply because your jewelry is in poor repair.
4. Clean your jewelry regularly. Your sweat and body oils can dull the shine of your favorite jewelry pieces. Prevent tarnish with regular cleaning using warm water and mild soap and polishing with a soft cloth. Make sure they are completely dry before storage. Do polish your jewelry with a professional jewelry polishing cloth after wearing to remove oil, fingerprints and dust.
5. Store jewelry pieces in separate airtight bags or boxes in a cool dry place. This would help prevent jewelry pieces from scratching one another. Insert an anti-tarnish strip inside each bag for added protection against oxidation.